Monday, October 16, 2006

Tree Planting in Hawaii and a video clipse



I hope these people and trees are OK.... just heard about the earthquake in Hawaii.



The Seeds of Peace

I am tall, strong, beautiful.
I am a tree.
I have lovely birds sitting on my exquisite branches,
with roots bursting out from under me.
digging deeper, and deeper.
And with lush green leaves.
sprouting from dark brown branches.
Then suddenly, I was awakened.
by the sounds of children laughing.
I was dreaming of peace.
By Hailey, Grade 5

At 1 p.m. on September 21, students in Angie Church's and Carrieann Quinn's 5th grade classes planted two special trees to commemorate World Peace Day. Before planting the trees, the students said a prayer and read messages and poems they had written. The students planted a hala tree and a coconut tree near the Luke Center for Public Service. The hala tree was grown from a seed by St. John '10 who had found the seed on Mount Ka‘ala when he was in the 4th grade. The coconut tree was brought from Kualoa Ranch.

After the trees had been planted and measured, the students cheered and sang "This land is your land."

See their video clipse here (in Quick Time)